Saturday, February 09, 2008

Close-ups of the Church turned Organ Shop

The text on the sign by the entrance reads:

2003 National Register of Historic Places

The American Fork 2nd Ward Meeting House

On 13 July 1901, them American Fork 2nd ward of the Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-Day Saints was created along with the 1st, 3rd, and 4th wards of teh
new American Fork Stake. On 9 October 1902, Joseph H. Storrs, who served as
bishop from 1901 to 1942, announced that brick had been contracted for a new
meetinghouse. James A. Pulley designed the architecture in the victorian goshic
style. The cornerstone was laid in april 1903, and the first meeting was held in
the unfinished chapel on 31 January 1904. Robert L. Ashby, teacher of
woodworking at the high school, took charge of the interior woodwork, and upon
completion reported that he wanted no fee. President Anthon H. Lund dedicated
the building on 17 February 1907. Total cost was 10,000.

On 15 June 1929 major alterations and additions totally $48,555 were
commenced under the direction of Don Carlos Young, church architect. The
original brick architecture was carefully preserved and matched by the new
construction. On account of a $15,000 donation by John (Jack) Firmage, the new
recreation hall became known as Firmage Hall. Dedication was by Heber J. Grant
on 4 September 1932.

Vacated by the church in October 1979, the building was purchased in May by
M.L. Bigelow and Co., Organ Builders. It has housed the pipe organ shop and
Michael Bigelow's residence since that time. The building was placed on the
National Register of Historic Places on 10 March 1992.

Marker Placed in 2003 by the American Fork Historic Commission.

No comments: